Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It had to happen sometime

So, my insides are screaming at me for some of the foods that I've been eating lately. Not a problem. I've been able to deal with it pretty well. Then today we are meeting with some big-wig from an international non-profit group and all of the sudden it feels like someone kicked my intestines and started squeezing. I was pinching so hard, I really wanted to stay in that meeting.

Finally, I couldn't take it. As we were "slowly" wrapping things up I tried to carefully excuse myself. Only problem is there is only one private bathroom (the company was stationed in a large house), and it's two feet behind us (I'm praying the walls are soundproof). So I rush in and barely make it. Then I tried to courtesy flush in case there is a crack in the door and I realize the toilet doesn't flush!! You gotta be kidding me! This is a disaster! The guy didn't just want to walk away, so he's standing out there asking Moriah if I'm okay.

Meanwhile, after wrapping things up in there, I'm trying frantically to figure out how to flush the toilet. I pushed every button and turned every faucet in the whole bathroom. I even had the top off and was trying to do it manually from the tank. Not even a bucket to try and force it to flush. Finally in desperation (or frustration), with the tank lid sitting on the counter, I just start yanking the lever up and down about a hundred times. It worked! Well sort of. It never completely flushed, but it released some water and ensured there wouldn't be a "gift" waiting for the next person to use the toilet.

So I got done and prepared myself to walk out like nothing had ever happened. Luckily, the guy we were meeting with had given up on me and gone back to his desk (still hadn't figured out what I was going to say, although a quote from Ace Ventura sprang to mind). Moriah was just sitting there wide-eyed thinking 'what the?' Funny that her first question was "Did you get wi-fi on your smart phone or something?" She knows me too well already. So, I think I was able to avoid complete and total embarrassment and save a little face in front of the company, but I thought I would share my first "emergency" in India with you.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

That is so gross yet so funny. I am so glad that you were able to flush finally. That would have been awful.