Thursday, May 5, 2011

Why you'll never meet a left-handed Indian

So, I finally figured out how to get a little hot water which makes shaving much easier. They don't have plugs for their sinks though, so I found this little pitcher and bucket under the sink. I thought I was pretty creative, finding a way to hold the hot water while I shave... until I found out what the bucket was for.

I thought it was for laundry or cleaning the bathroom. It turns out Indians don't use toilet paper (they have given me some, but that's not how they do it). Instead they fill up these buckets with water and every time they go to the bathroom you scoop up a pitcher full of water and wash yourself. The reason why you'll never meet a left-handed Indian is because they only use their left hand. They eat, shake hands, etc with their right hand.

Then when I got to work the next day, I noticed their bucket was filled with water. I understand they diligently clean their hands after, but the whole mental image still grosses me out. And I was shaving my face using the same bucket. Here is a link if you don't believe me (don't worry I don't have a squatter toilet). Moriah is still laughing at me.

Speaking of Moriah, she is feeling a little under appreciated by Indians. She wrote a funny blog post about it here.

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Carl! Wow--that is gross. Is there sanitizer in that bathroom? We might need to send you some:)! Your blog is a great read. Glad you are finding food that you like--too funny about the grocery store having no change.

Courtney said...

That is so gross. Seriously, gross. I wonder if people don't like shaking your hand since you are left handed. :)

Lindsay Haynie said...

Do you use the squatter holes?

Kira =] said...

Ewwww! glad you finally found out!

ajensen said...

Im so glad you are left handed--makes the whole thing easier. :) Keep posting!

Do you like the work you are doing? Tell us a typical days work? Are you reseraching? Will you ever go visit some of the people you are trying to help?

alphanumerritt said...

When in Rome...

Seriously, though, that's nasty. But not too much worse than in Chile (mission) where they typically put their used toilet paper in an uncovered cardboard box next to the throne. They believe flushing it will clog the system and cause flooding.